Floods may damage the electric, gas, plumbing and sanitary systems in your house, which may affect the indoor air quality. If you smell natural gas or sulfur odors DO NOT ENTER THE BUILDING. If what you smell is natural gas, call 911 from a safe location and wait until they allow you to enter.


When entering your home for repairs and to retrieve personal items, make a quick personal safety evaluation before entering the building. Do not use or operate any system without checking it first.


 Check for:

  • The structure of the building - did it suffer damage?
  • Electrical system damage, including high voltage and insulation
  • Plumbing, septic and sewer lines
  • Air conditioner, heat pump, duct work or forced hot air furnace damage